Our Content for 2016-2017
- Motion and Design
- Westward Expansion/U.S. Geography
- Food Chemistry
- Civics/Government/Service Projects
Here students are analyzing food from our first lesson in our Food Chemistry unit! They will be looking at both solids and liquids. They will be testing for a variety of elements such as starch, glucose, fats, and protein. Ask your child how they were able to determine what types of food had one, some, or all of the elements!
Students have been learning about bioengineers, the Engineering Design Process, human-made technology vs. naturally made technologies, membranes, and so much more! We are currently reading Juan Daniel's Futbol Frog. Juan Daniel is teaching us what bioengineers do and how they use the Engineering Design Process to solve problems. Through his story, we are learning about organisms' basic needs such as food, water, shelter, and air.
Westward Expansion Unit
We have begun our Westward Expanision unit! As a class, we have explored and learned about the following topics:
Motion and Design Unit
Students have been exploring motion and design through a series of investigations! So far we have explored the following concepts:
We have also been working on specific skills such as...
- Designing, building, testing, and modifying vehicles to meet design requirements.
- Observing how an object moves and describing its motion and changes in motion.
- Measuring the time it takes a vehicle to move a given distance.
- Collecting and recording data and analyzing it to determine representative values.
- Predicting the effect of an applied force on how a vehicle moves.
- Recording and comparing distances a vehicle travels under various conditions.